Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Getting educated...

We had to go back to Charlotte this morning to the dialysis center to watch a training video and get "introduced" to all of the supplies/equipment I will need for home dialysis. I really didn't learn anything I didn't already know, but it was required!!! I have a consultation with the surgeon on October 2 to talk about catheter placement. The surgery will probably be a week or two after that, and then I'll start dialysis. I'll have to spend about 4 or 5 days in Charlotte at the dialysis center to train, and then I'll be able to completely do my dialysis at home. At first, I'll only be hooked up to the machine at night for dialysis. Hopefully that will do the job, and I won't have to do it more often than that.

One of the first things that you lose a taste for with kidney disease is meat. It's a natural reaction, because your kidneys can no longer handle all of the protein. BUT.. it's also the one thing that your body needs if you are in kidney failure.. haha. Makes no sense really, but I do hate the taste of meat.. for the most part. I started protein shakes recently, and I'm able to tolerate them without too much nausea. They are hoping that with dialysis, my appetite will increase. I'm not going to get the same results I will with transplant, but it should help me feel better and get me more ready for the surgery.

2 comments:

Shea said...

I have not checked the sodium content, but those Atkins shakes are AWESOME, and I hate shakes, but the strawberry ones are the best. They have 15 grams of protein. Don't know if you can have these but they only have 1 net carb, so they are low in sugar too.

Christy said...

Great thanks Shea.. I'll check them out!!!!!!