Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An insomniac's revelation

What helps insomnia?  The truth about it all....


1.  Some people say that drinking warm milk will help you fall asleep quicker. I disagree. Not only does warm milk make me gag (well, unless of course it has chocolate in it, and that defeats the purpose b/c that contains caffeine), but even if I can manage to choke it down, it has no effect on my ability to fall asleep. 

2.  What about counting sheep? I have tried this... you just can't imagine how many times I've tried this.. I've tried sheep, cows, dogs, cats, horses, bears, even turtles.. you name it, I've probably tried it. I never get to 100, not b/c I'm asleep before I get to 100, but b/c I'm bored and tired of playing this game by about 20 or 25. I can't recall ever actually falling asleep by counting sheep or anything else for that matter.

3.  Going to bed at the same time every night is supposed to keep you in a pattern and help you fall asleep and stay asleep...... BLAHHHHH!!  It doesn't work! If my body doesn't want to sleep, then it doesn't matter if I wake up and go to bed at the exact same time for a week.. I still can't sleep.

4.  Some say a change of scenery will help you fall asleep. Here is my question... why would I want to leave the comforts of my warm bed, soft pillow, and snuggly hubby to go sleep on a cold sofa with cold cushions... alone? This just defeats all purposes of wanting to go to bed in the first place.

5.  Read a book... yeah that will do it! NOT! Since I read such suspenseful, edge-of-your-seat, gripping books, if I start reading in the middle of the night, I will want to finish the book. I won't want to read 1 chapter and say "nighty night"... I will want to see who killed who, with what, and where as soon as I possibly can.  Hmmm... maybe I should start reading my hubby's Cosmology books. Doesn't everyone want to learn about quasars and galaxies? (I'm sure they would put me right to sleep.. so I'm going to try that now.. since it's 3:20 am and I'm still wide awake).

Thanks for the inspiration!  And.... sleep well!! 

No comments: