Friday, October 24, 2008

Mountain Lake Resort

I'm sure most of you remember the film "Dirty Dancing" and the big resort where it was filmed. Most of the filming took place at Mountain Lake Resort in Pearisburg, Va. I had several friends from high school who were extras in that movie. One of my friends worked there, and my family and I went up to see her there shortly after the movie was made. What a beautiful place it WAS! Now, the lake has all dried up. I couldn't believe it when I saw these pictures.

I read where the lake has dried up 6 times in the last 4,500 years and always refilled itself, but sometimes took decades to do so. The article said that people are still flocking to the resort, even though there isn't a lake anymore.

Anyway, after the lake dried up, they found bones in the bottom of the lake dating back to the early 1900's. They are trying to figure out the mystery there and are thinking it could have been murder.

Here is a picture of the lake in 2005, and then one now.



Remember the gazebo scene where baby confronts her father who is sitting in that chair looking out at the lake? Here is a picture of that gazebo now...


2 comments:

Aspiemom said...

That's kind of sad to see how the place is now, but neat to remember those scenes there. I love that movie!

Tina said...

Wow weird