Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rules for making fudge

1. Learn what a soft ball test is BEFORE starting your recipe, so you don't have to put your sticky fingers on the keyboard to look it up.

2. Make sure your sauce pan is big enough to accommodate the expansion of your sugar, butter and milk when it boils. You don't want to have to clean that sugary mixture off of your stove.. grrr..

3. Use fluff instead of marshmallow cream. It tastes better and has less preservatives.

4. Use pure vanilla extract instead of vanilla flavoring. It's just better.

5. If you are diabetic, resist licking the bowl, or your blood sugar will be 370 and you will have to take a load of insulin...oops! :)


Easy Fudge


3 sticks butter
6 cups sugar
2 cans evaporated milk (5 oz cans)
2 packages (12 oz each) semisweet chocolate chips
1 jar marshmallow cream (13 oz)
2 teaspoons vanilla


Lightly grease 2 or 3 pans. Mix margarine, sugar, and milk in heavy 4-5 quart sauce pan. Bring to full rolling boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring to prevent scorching (do the soft ball test). Remove from heat. Gradually stir in chips until melted. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared pans. Cool at room temperature and cut into squares.

5 comments:

Genevieve said...

YUM- as soon as I feel better!

Mrs. O said...

The success of a great cook begins with the discoveries which lead to writing steps 1, 2 and 5. So Congratulations! You've just become a great baker! Hope you had lots of fun, even though your sugar levels went up.

steveroni said...

I'm sure your insulin is chocolat-flavored...

NOT a cook-a-roni

Unknown said...

You are making me laugh so hard! Both my sister and I have nightmare stories to tell about making fudge.. About the time it was tooooo soft..Last year my sister called me hysterically laughing that hers was ruined.

Yeah buddy, fudge stories.. Not my #1 thing I'm good at, but LOVE it!
lol

Thanks for the rules ~ I'm going to make some fudge this week!!!
~hugs!

Amy said...

LMAO
I might have to convince my friend that we should make some on Wednesday when i go to visit her :) I will be sure to follow your rules though LOL :)

<3