Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Today's appointment at Duke

Mom and I are home from Durham! We were actually out of Duke by 10:15 this morning, but we stopped over at Jason's sister's house on the way home, and then we stopped for lunch.

My staples are out! It feels SO much better. They did put steri strips on, which will stay in place for about 2 weeks. We addressed several issues today. One being my blood pressure. I have been retaining some fluid, and have actually gained 5 lbs over the past 2 days. They said it was normal to do this for about 3 months post-transplant as the new kidney adjusts and takes over all of its functions. They started me back on a diuretic and said I should lose the fluid almost immediately. This will also help my blood pressure. Most likely, I won't have to start a b.p. med. The docs told me to monitor my b.p. and adjust the diuretic accordingly. They don't want me to get dehydrated.

I have been drinking 2 liters of water a day. That is a "generic" amount they tell you to drink post-transplant. Since I am so small, the docs today told me not to force the fluids like I have been. It could be some of the reason I'm retaining so much fluid. They said to just drink when I'm thirsty. It will be a relief not to have to force those 2 liters down.

Another thing we addressed today was the prednisone. It is causing my chronic sinusitis to flare up, so they started weaning my dose TODAY! I took 25 mg today instead of 30. How sweet that is! In 14 days, if everything is ok with my blood work, I can reduce it to 20. This should also help with b.p. and blood sugar issues, and of course my mania and insomnia. I may not notice much difference until I get down to 15 mg, but it's coming sooner than expected.

I have been having some heartburn at night even though I've had the stomach wrap surgery to correct the reflux and I'm on Prilosec twice a day, so they switched my med to Nexium, which I have been on before. Sometimes I just need a change in medication, and things get better.

I didn't get my stent out today. I have an appointment to go back in 2 weeks to see the doc and I'll get it out then. If everything is ok with my blood work today (I should find out later today or tomorrow), then I go back on the 17th.

Overall.. a really great appointment. I was getting so frustrated last night because of the fluid retention, and because my fibromyalgia is started to act up again. My ankles are hurting and I'm walking slower because of it. I'm still getting on the treadmill everyday, which actually helps the fibromyalgia. I'll continue to do that, but if things get worse, I may have to start an anti-depressant, which is thought to help with the pain for some reason.

I hope all of you are having a great day!

UPDATE: Duke called.. labs look great!!


Genevieve said...

SO glad your appointment was a success and your working out the kinks with the different meds. I'm right there w/ you on the prednisone, ugh. I can't wait to get off of it.

take it easy on the treadmill! lol

Alicia said...

It's very interesting to learn about this post kidney transplant process. I'm so glad your appt went well, and the staples are out!

Vicki said...

It sounds like they are right on top of all your meds and the things you are going thru right now.
YAY for staples being taken out!
I can't believe how close Christmas is.. Been working on my paper and it is NOT Christmas material.. I feel like I'm in a war zone working on this information!!!! UGH!!!

Shea said...

I am so happy for such a good appt.

Anonymous said...

Praise God! YAY I am so happy you are doing so well. XOXO

Stacia said...

Hey sorry I haven't been keeping up with your journey but I am so happy to hear that things are moving in a good direction. Rock on !!!

kat said...

nutzy im so happy everything went so well today for you and your mom. and the blood work looks great, must be a relief for you.
sorry i missed your call again, i was in a store and forgot my phone in the car, something i do often. are you going to be around tomorrow? im off again so ill have time to chat.
oh and tell casey i love the pics you posted of her she is now so grown up looking. she could be a model she really is beautiful. she looks just like you.

Christy said...

KAT! Yes, call me tomorrow anytime. Well, anytime after 11.. LOL. Sorry I missed you today.
thanks guys for all your comments. :)

Aspiemom said...

I'm glad you had a good appt at Duke today and that you are weaning the prednisone. I thought you have to be on that for the rest of your life after a tx. Is that true? I can't stand the stuff. The side effects are always worse than the original symptoms.

Hope the bloating and reflux and fibro all lets up or goes away all together so can be more comfortable and enjoy life more.

I'm having a lot of chest pain so I'm seeing my Internist tomorrow AM. I think I just pulled a muscle coughing, but want to make sure.

Heidi said...

Awesome news on the prednisone! YEAH! My endocrin doc wants me on a MEDROL pack...basically prednisone.

I'm also SO glad you got your staples out. YEAH!!

I hope the fluid retention resolves...SOON